Hello and Welcome!
I am honored that you want to learn more about me and the Mission of Mom+Carrot.
I’m Bernadette (aka Mom)
I have been a redhead with a million freckles all of my life. I was born into a bright family, literally. My mom is a redhead and my sister is also a redhead.
As a child, I will admit that I looked a lot like Ermengarde from the 1995 movie adaptation of A Little Princess, with the ridiculous round glasses and all. I went through several awkward phases trying to figure out how I fit into this world as a redhead At school, I was constantly trying to fit in (or more like blend in) with my classmates, but when your hair is as bright as a carrot, well you are just going to get noticed in more ways that you would like. (It also didn’t help that I was tall and a bit of an introvert) And so, I had to develop techniques to adapt and accept my “genetic mutation.” Eventually, I came to love my red hair and all of its wonderful advantages. I put it to work for me. Now, I wouldn’t change it for the world, it is part of my identify.
Fast forward many years, I am currently married to my wonderful husband Steve, who fell in love with me at first sight because of my red hair (and freckles)! While Steve has dark hair, he also came from a family of redheads so he is a true fan.
We are proud parents to our beautiful three-year old daughter, Miss L (aka Carrot) who, as you may have guessed, was born with bright red hair. It is also thick and curly, so it’s gorgeous. This blog is ultimately dedicated to her. I want my daughter to love her red hair right from the start, and be confident because of it.
I also know that ultimately for my daughter to be confident, I also need to set a good example and be confident as a Mom. And, that is not always easy, especially when there is no exact science to parenting. There is a lot of trial and error, figuring things out on the fly as new challenges arise. I find this usually leads to a lot of worrying and second guessing on my part. I have learned so much already in the last few years, but there is still so much to learn. I want to keep getting better and better as a mother so my daughter has the best life possible (and I can hopefully worry less.)
Mission of Mom+Carrot
The overall mission of Mom+Carrot is to be a go-to resource for moms of redheads.
It is hard to find resources and parenting stories geared specifically for ginger babies and redhead children (I know I’ve looked!) Often times, a red-haired kid is the only redhead in his or her class, or the whole school, or even an entire town. And sadly, redhead kids are often teased and bullied for their bright locks and fair complexion. Have you ever heard of “Kick a Ginger Day?” Yup, it’s a real thing, thanks to South Park. (But so is the new “Kiss a Ginger Day” too!)
Redheads are also unique in other ways. They bruise easily, have freckles, need more pain medication, blush, easily sunburn, etc. As a parent, all this is hard to navigate, especially when there are little resources to help.
This is where I come in. I created this blog for moms of redheads to help their children embrace being red and grow up strong and confident. I will do this by sharing parenting strategies that have worked for me and discuss learning’s from others so we can all improve and build in confidence. I give a glimpse into my life as a redhead raising a redhead (hence the name Mom+Carrot) blogging about my own funny stories, daily adventures, and hiccups as we travel the same path.
I believe a successful mom always has a plan. I’m constantly reading about how to raise a confident kid (see my Pinterest board here) so I can be prepared for the future for when my toddler daughter faces the world as a redhead. I’m excited to share what I’ve learned and help other moms too.
I hope this blog shines with a uniqueness as rare as red hair itself.
Subscribe to the Mom+Carrot Newsletter
Sign up and receive my FREE Ultimate Disney Diaper Bag Checklist. Everything you need to pack for your next Disney trip.
Fun Facts About Me
- I am a stay-at-home Mom and love every second of it. I am grateful to my husband to have the opportunity to stay home with our daughter and help her grow.
- I am also an older Mom (at least according to Kaiser Permanente that is). I had my daughter when I was 35 years old. I plan to have one more kid before I am 40. I hope I have the stamina and physical strength to have more kids.
- I am a cat person. I care for three cranky, old-men cats (Oreo, Rusty, and Doyle), who are still trying to understand why we brought a baby home in the first place. They miss their quiet existence.
- I worked in food manufacturing before mommy-hood. I have an engineering degree and worked for over 10 years at General Mills, Inc. where I managed and trained employees in two large food manufacturing facilities that produced Cheerios, Lucky Charms, Betty Crocker cake mixes, and Yoplait Yogurt. I had to wear a hard hat and steel toed shoes to work every day. Some days I miss my safety gear, especially when a tantrum erupts and toys start flying.
- I am a proud Mom Blogger. I fell in love with blogging last year and I can’t talk enough about it. See this page to learn more. I started my blog in May 2016, and it has enriched my life in so many ways.
- I am a perfectionist. I admit that I like things neat and orderly. I am a big believer in schedules and routines, especially for kids. It helps me find balance between blogging, raising my daughter and the rest of my life. I think it also helps my daughter be calmer and happier.
- I enjoy running to relieve stress, but I don’t always get to it as often as I would like. When I am running regularly, I feel good about myself. When I am not running, I usually gain weight and thus get a bit depressed. I try to run at least one organized race per year to keep myself motivated. I have done 2 full marathons, 4 half-marathons, and multiple 10Ks and 5Ks so far.
- I am a lover of all things Disney. My daughter and I play at Disney parks as often as we can. It is our happy place.
To see glimpses into my daily life, please check out my Instagram account (my favorite). I try to post a new picture every day.
Thanks for reading. I look forward to hearing from you. Please feel free to contact me at Bernadette (at) MomandCarrot (dot) com.
Your friendly mom with red hair,