When I read my first ebook about blogging, it changed my life. I realized I could start an online business quickly and cheaply. At first, it seemed too good to be true, but the more stories I read about amazing women who followed their passions through blogging and were successful, I was hooked. These stories were so inspiring that I started reading as many blogging resources that I could find. I started my blog Mom+Carrot in May 2016.
Blogging Makes Me a Better Mom
I found out that I love blogging because it ultimately makes me a better mom. It energizes and recharges me after a long day. It gives me a break from diapers, playtime, and the unending feeding and cleaning routines. It lets me vent my frustrations and celebrate every milestone.
Blogging also connects me with mothers from all over the world. I now have insight into so many parenting strategies and fun kid activities. The internet has really opened up to me. I wish I had known about blogging sooner. I wish I had found all these amazing blogging resources sooner.
Fall in Love with Blogging
You could say that I fell in love with blogging, and I want you to fall in love with blogging too. Read just one ebook, I believe it will change your life, especially if you are a stay-at-home mom. It will give you new goals, a creative outlet, and a way to contribute financially to the family without sacrificing time with your children.
Below, I have captured all my favorite blogging resources that I use to learn this trade and get better. I hope these blogging resources will jump-start your blog (or other passion) and ultimately lead you to a better, much richer life.
My Favorite Blogging Resources
This page contains affiliate links. See Disclosure page for more details.
- I consider Building a Framework by Abby Lawson to be the “bible” on how to start a successful blog. It is, in my opinion, the best of the best when it comes to blogging resources. It is packed full of awesome details and step-by-step advice. I learned a ton from this resource alone, and I am still learning every day. It actually took me 2 months to finish this course because I kept stopping to apply all Abby’s good tips to my blog. I will be forever grateful to Abby for taking the time to share her wisdom. It changed my life. (Note: This resource was fully revamped in March 2017 to a full-blown course with more than 50 lessons and tech tutorials. The tech tutorials walk you through the tricky behind-the-scenes stuff that is so hard when you are first getting started. You also get a beautiful workbook to keep notes in and track your progress. It is a great course. You will not be disappointed, I promise!)
- Blog by Number by Suzi Whitford is my second favorite blogging resource for learning how to start a blog. This ebook is a much quicker read than Abby’s ebook, but it is full of awesome tools that streamline the process for you. Suzi is all about efficiency and it shows in her straightforward writing style. Suzi is an engineer who focused on Continuous Improvement/Lean Six Sigma projects in her career. I love this! I held a similar position in my career and can relate. I found this book to be especially useful in finding Facebook and Pinterest groups. (Please note: This resource was just updated in September 2016 with video tutorials, bonuses and freebies, motivational videos and time-saving tips!)
- The Blogger’s Guide to Copyright and Trademark Law by Breighanne Eggert helped me setup my Disclosure and Policy pages. When I was first starting out, I worried a ton that I was not setting up my policy pages correctly. This ebook put my mind at ease. I learned a ton about the different laws bloggers need to be aware of and even more importantly, I learned how to protect myself and my new business. My sister who is a lawyer would be proud! I highly recommend this important guide.
- Once I had the basics of blogging down, I turned to Tasha Agruso to learn how to monetize my blog through affiliate links and programs. Tasha’s ebook Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers gives you lots of great tips on how to set up affiliate links on your site and how to build a long-term strategy that can turn your blog into a thriving business. (UPDATE: This resource was updated to a full course with video tutorials in August 2016. You can find current details here. The course is only open for enrollment a few times each year.)
- For my first attempt at monetizing my site, I joined the Amazon Affiliate program and added links to products in my blog posts. I was excited to get a few click-throughs, but I quickly realized that I needed a stronger strategy to make real money with Amazon. So, I purchased How to Make Money with Amazon Affiliates: Over $1000 per month even with a Small Blog by Carolina King. This genius ebook gave me great tips on how to milk the holidays and promotions, how to use social media to create affiliate income, how to craft the product round-ups, and how to best monetize popular posts. It also included powerful secrets that would have taken me years to learn. I am so grateful for this little book!
- When I realized that I needed to understand my niche better in order to be successful, I reached out to Jennifer Snyder from Women Winning Online and downloaded her ebook Find your Tribe Online. This purchase has been a game changer for me! It helped me grow my followers on both Facebook and Pinterest overnight by showing me exactly where the people in my niche (kids and parenting) hang out. It also gave me scripts to use when contacting other bloggers to join groups or for guest posting. This guide put me in touch with all the right people to grow my business. (UPDATE: This ebook has gotten bigger and better! It has been updated to a full course as of January 2017 with 24 video tutorials and 11 brand-new checklists. Plus, you get access to more Pinterest Group Boards, more Facebook Groups, and more popular bloggers. It really is a great deal, one of the very best out there!)
- IN PROGRESS Abby of Just a Girl and Her Blog started out 3 years ago knowing nothing about blogging and now makes six figures a year, due in large part to her eBooks. She is now teaching others the process she uses to write and launch profitable eBooks. I am currently taking her BookBoss course and learning so much. Once finished, I will update this page with my biggest take-a-ways.
Be Sure to Choose a Great Theme
I also want to give a shout-out to my theme creator Lindsey Riel from Pretty Darn Cute Design. I chose the Pretty Happy theme to start my blog, and I love how simple and feminine it is. It is fully customizable and loads lightning fast. I chose this theme because it is built especially for the Genesis framework. In addition, Pretty Darn Cute Designs has been in business for 10+ years and as a reputation for great customer service. They have responded to all my questions in less than 24 hours. They have also provided 20 WordPress Tutorials with my purchase that have been awesome for a newbie like me.
I had and continue to have a positive experience with all of the above blogging resources, I hope you do too! Get ready to meet some amazing women and their fabulous products.
Please Note: Some of the links above are “affiliate links.” This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. Regardless, I only recommend products or services that I use personally and believe will add value to my readers. All the blogging resources mentioned above are products that I have read and enjoyed. All of the opinions stated about these products are 100% my own. See my Disclosure page for more details.